Sunday, September 21, 2008

It's out there...

I fell behind in my weekly blog updates and this one is over 7 days late – sorry :(

I really don’t have much of an excuse except that I wanted to be in a good “place” before I start to write this and I just woke up from 2 ½ x 1 hour naps on my flight back to Jacksonville from Seattle – it feels awesome to catch up on sleep like this.

I am 100% sure I was snoring, drooling and being socially unacceptable but hey – I was tired.

Today is also one of my very rare complete day’s off with no training. I don’t think I have had one of these in a few months – really. Travelling back and forth across the corner of the country doesn’t leave much time to train so I relax and enjoy it – besides my butt likes 1st Class so I am in a good place :)

So – what is going on in the VMS world?


Results, Results, Results!!!


Karel Sumbal decided to leave the hard ball roads for the ruts, roots and patchouli scents of Hanna park last weekend to race the Mountain bike race. He finished 6th with only 1 “real” day of practice – it must be nice to have that kind of an engine – congrats Karel :)

Other than that – the only other racing I know about is the Fletcher HS swimming and diving where the Boys team is crushing it. The talent pool at the beach is really incredible. I think the Fletcher Boys team have only lost 1 dual meet (team versus team) in like 15 years or something like that – really incredible.

Shane and Josh are both competing in swimming and diving and watching there progress really makes me proud.


IMG_5234_JPG

Josh went from doing cannonballs a year ago to being able to throw a reverse double tuck and placed 12th (I think) in the Bolles Invitational meet last Saturday.

IMG_5242_JPG

Shane’s and I have raced in the pool every year for last 5 years. Until last year the old man still had the advantage but not anymore.


IMG_5208_JPG

He has reset all of his PR’s this year already and the season is still early. In his last meet he went 2:03.1 in the 200 free, 5:47 in his 1st attempt at the 500 free and jams out a 24.1 50 free and a 54.6 in the 100. I have no chance anymore and I couldn’t be happier. I can only imagine how cheap college would be if he really practiced :)

By the way – C-bone – not sooooo impressed :)

IMG00053

I think that is all and if I missed anyone I apologize.




No geek stuff here.

I was going to write a entry that would have made my pocket protector proud but my coach wrote it and I can’t come anywhere close to explaining it in level that he does…if you want a really good read, check out Alan’s Blog at http://alancouzens.blogspot.com – he is really one of the smartest people I know and can explain REALLY technical concepts at an understandable level.

So with my pocket protector safely back in its holster I am going to take a chance and do the Lieto challenge again.

Chris spoke at Trek Store of Jax awhile ago and he challenged all of us to take a goal and “put it out there” so that you would be “held accountable”.

Well – here it is – kinda like ripping off the band aid…I know this is gonna HURT

I want to go 3:22 off the bike in Florida…that’s it…it’s out there.

Ironman Arizona 2008 1028

Oh boy – now I don’t feel good :)

Actually I really like Chris’ philosophy – it is not bragging (because I haven’t done it yet) – it is not cocky (because REALLY I am not sure I can) – it is a goal – pure and simple. If the day brings good conditions and I am descent shape after Kona – I will try and smack the clock in Florida.

If I don’t make it you can tell me “better luck next year mate” or “Hey shawn – nice marathon time – you suck – next time shut your pie hole” :).

Not putting a goal out there in an endurance event like IM allows too many deals.

The miles 80-112 on the bike are all Monte Hall – let’s make a deal.

On the run – the Monkeys keep handing you briefcases and then laugh their a$$es off as they open them and they all contain $1,000,000 :)

Nope – it’s out there - no deals.

Just – go out and do it – or fail – simple.

So – if your not doing anything November 1st and you want to see or follow my suffer-fest…show up and watch me blow up :)

I can promise you this – it will be an all or nothing event – Medal or Medical – you gotta dig the pain – 6 weeks and counting :)




No rants from me this week – but a “guest” rant from Joy Murphy…

31353903_o

So I do not have a blog and this is just a must share:
I plan my 21 mile run today on a Wednesday b/c I am doing the MS150 this weekend. I recruit 2 people to run with me. One friend who is training for a marathon in 4 weeks in Ohio and runs a great pace ran with me for the 1st 13. She comes in to use the bathroom before we go and my wonderfully behaved dogs try to attack her. So she walks outside to wait for me and I grab my fuel belt, calm the dogs down and walk out of my door to my garage and close my garage with an automatic key pad. We run 13 right on pace and come back to my house and the 2nd shift (Regina) meets me and we run the last 8. I come back home, open my garage door and go to open the door and it is locked! I have never in my 8 years of living there locked this door so I know I did not accidentally do it, so it must have been my wonderfully behaved dogs going crazy and jumping on the door and locked me out. Luckily Regina has a cell phone and I call my mom (Jimmy is working in OP and is of no help) and we drive to the northside to meet her to get a key. I come back home starving and grouchy and sweaty....the key does not work! As I am ready to eat dog food b/c that is all that is in my garage, Regina drives me to get a bagel but then has to leave for work. I had made some calls while I had her cell phone to get a locksmith to come out and am drinking out of my hose I decide to use my skills from growing up on the northside and used a hanger. After about 15 minutes...I broke in! I felt like superwoman at this moment! Now I must go swim!

BTW...does anyone want a dog? She does tricks!



Lastly from me – my sister Miah is hilarious...

IMG_9342

She is a diver turned triathlete, begrudging cyclist and soccer mom…she wrote to me about an email I sent on the Cervelo sale – I laughed:

OHhhhhh...I thought it was a cocktail...I was going to order a Cervelo on the rocks with a twist of lime:) Hope the ride was good I am off to soccer ...no I will not be texting while driving there and I resent the stereotyping. Your sister

No comments: